Charter School Authorizer – Terrebonne Parish School Board as Authorizer
Guidelines and Required Forms for Submission of Charter Proposal
- All charter school applicants, regardless of type being sought, at a minimum, shall follow the guidelines and utilize all forms provided by the Louisiana Department of Education Office of Parental Options.
- Timelines for submission shall be followed in accordance with Terrebonne Parish School Board Timelines (included in this series of guidelines) previously established that are aligned with statutory provisions.
Process Used to Review Charter Proposals
- All charter school applicants, regardless of type being sought, shall follow the guidelines and utilize all forms provided by the Louisiana Department of Education – Office of Parental Options.
- Timelines for submission shall be followed in accordance with Terrebonne Parish School Board Timelines that are in accordance with statutory provisions.
- Review Process
- Selection of Third Party Evaluators/Committee of Charter Proposals
- Superintendent may select a committee of individuals that possess educational, organizational, legal, and financial expertise from the following entities: Representative(s) from Nicholls State University; University of Louisiana at Lafayette/College of Education; Representative(s) from Louisiana State University at Eunice; and LEA Curriculum & Instruction District Level Administrative Staff, etc.
- Review process will include the use of NASCA Principles and Standards for Quality Charter School Authorizing. Other references that may be utilized in the review process include: Louisiana Revised Statues; promulgated BESE policies/bulletins; and district board policies. Committee may contact charter applicant designee, in writing, to obtain clarity on any issue or concern; with the expectation of reciprocal written correspondence to explain any issue or concern with application, if needed – prior to compiling final report to Superintendent.
- Committee will forward final, written report to Superintendent and Terrebonne Parish School Board prior to applicant interview. Applicant interview will be conducted via a Terrebonne Parish School Board workshop with the Superintendent and the Terrebonne Parish School Board.
- Superintendent will recommend to Terrebonne Parish School Board a final decision relative to approval/disapproval at a subsequent regular or special board meeting.
- Notification of Decision to Approve/Disapprove Charter Proposal by Terrebonne Parish School Board
- Based on third party review information and applicant interview, Superintendent will make a recommendation to Terrebonne Parish School Board for approval/disapproval.
- Charter applicant will then be notified of final decision, in writing, with explanation of decision. Minutes of board decision will be included in correspondence to charter applicant.
- Name and Contact Information – Primary Point of Contact for Terrebonne Parish School Board
- Superintendent Philip Martin (see contact information above)
- January 10, 2011 – Charter Applications Accepted (proof of receipt, in writing, provided to applicant)
- February 28, 2011 – Charter Application Deadline for Submission in accordance with Acts 334 and 722 of 2010 Regular Legislative Session
- From February 28, 2011, through May 29, 2011, (90-day window in accordance with Acts 334 and 722 of 2010 Regular Legislative Session) the following will occur:
- Technical Review of all Components of Application by independent, third party with educational, legal, financial expertise
- Application Interview via Board workshop upon written notification of Terrebonne Parish School Board’s Superintendent to applicant
- Recommendation for approval/disapproval as individual item denoted on Terrebonne Parish School Board Agenda
- Written notification (accompanied by Terrebonne Parish School Board minutes) provided to charter application that includes statutorily required, written explanation of the reasons for approval/disapproval.